Watch Outs For Your Home Extension
If anyone out there thinks that a home extension is an easy process, think again. Last year my wife and I took the decision to have our home extended in order to give our family some more space. After consulting with an architect and the wonderful construction guys at CBI Tulsa, we were all set to get the work underway. Whilst I never had any expectation that this was going to be a simple process, it did end up being far, far more complicated than I had previously thought. IF you are looking to get a house extension underway, I wanted to share with you some tips based on the experience which I had.
Whatever you do when planning your extension, ensure that you have been granted the planning permission by your local council government agency, to be allowed to have the work completed. I decided that we should push ahead with the work first, and was consequently denied the planning permission. This meant that we had to go back to the drawing board and the extension ended up taking an extra month. The only advice I will offer here is not to be as laissez-faire as I was, and wait for that planning permission to be granted before you commence any work.
Almost every single house extension goes over budget and so you will need to ensure that you have some money in reserve, for when the extra costs come in. These extra costs can be anything from increase cost of materials, bad weather causing work delays, or even last minute changes to the plan because of unforeseen issues. The best bet is to allocate your budget, and then only dedicate perhaps 70% of that budget to the home extension, leaving 30% of it in reserve. It is not just the extra costs of the move, but also the decorating and finishing costs of your new space. Make sure to save up enough money to budget what you want done with your home.
In retrospect, another mistake which we made was not moving out of the home whilst the work was being completed. We took this decision because we didn’t want to go through the upheaval of moving into a hotel. Unfortunately we didn’t have any friends or family who we could stay with during this time, and so staying seemed like the smartest option. Unfortunately, staying in the property turned out to be an incredibly stressful situation which had daily problems that we had to deal with. If you decide to stay in the property during this time, it is important to be aware of the fact that you will essentially be living on a construction site, complete with the banging, the chaos and the general upheaval that this will cause you. In light of the decision which we took, and the way I feel about it now, I would strongly recommend that you move out of the home if it is possible.